Risotto with Red Onion, Parsley and Mushrooms
Serves 4-5 people
8-9 mushrooms (portabello, white button, or shiitake) sliced
1 medium red onion – chopped
1 large clove garlic – diced or thinly sliced
8-9 sprigs Italian flat parsley leaves – diced – save about 1 tbsp for garnish
4 tbsp butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup dry red Wind Rose Cellars Bravo Rosso, Barbera Columbia Valley
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup Arborio rice uncooked
Salt and ground black pepper
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place broth in separate pan or microwave safe cup and heat.
2. Sauté sliced mushrooms in heavy chef pan on medium high heat until
beginning to brown.
3. Pour about 1 tbsp of the wine over the mushrooms and let cook until wine
evaporates – (few minutes)
4. Remove mushrooms from pan and wipe pan.
5. Add 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil to pan along with onion, diced parsley and garlic. Cook 2- 3 minutes on medium heat until vegetables begin to brown.
6. Pour rest of wine about 3 tablespoons into pan and cook until the wine is completely evaporated.
7. Add 1 cup rice to vegetable mixture, stir to completely coat rice with buttered oil and sauté about 2-3 minutes. Stir continuously–do not let rice brown.
8. Add ¼ cup warmed broth to rice (about 1 ladle worth) stir into rice and
cook until broth is completely incorporated. At this point add the mushrooms back to the mixture. Keep stirring for about 18-20 minutes, continuing to add broth, about ¼- 1/3 cup each time until the rice becomes tender but is still al dente. All of the broth should be absorbed but not dry – rice should appear creamy.
Finally: Remove from heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and Parmesan cheese, and mix together. Pour into serving dish and garnish with parsley.