Pairs with Wind Rose Cellars Award-Winning Bravo Rosso
1 medium eggplant
¾ cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 bunch swiss chard
1 clove garlic sliced thinly
2 tbsp olive oil
¾ cup mozzarella or other shredded Italian cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
For the sauce:
6-7 Fresh Italian tomatoes skin removed or 1 can (drained, reserve the liquid)
6-7 basil leaves sliced or 1 tsp marjoram
1 tbsp olive oil
½ onion sliced or diced
1 clove garlic minced
1. Remove thick stem from swiss hard and discard, wash, slice into about ½ inch slices and place in skillet, (the moisture left on the swiss chard should be enough to wilt the chard (about 5 minutes) Turn heat off and cover. Let cool slightly or this step can be done the day before.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and garlic in a skillet, squeeze the swiss chard to remove excess liquid and add to the heated oil and garlic. Add sufficient salt to season the chard (1/8 to ¼ tsp).
3. Mix together the ricotta, egg, Parmesan cheese and swiss chard in a small bowl.
4. Cut tips off the eggplant ends and remove about 1 inch of peel from two sides (opposite each other) along the length of the eggplant.
5. Cut the eggplant lengthwise into ¼ inch slices.
6. Brush lightly or spray each side of the eggplant with olive oil
7. Grill, broil or bake the eggplant slices (400 degrees) until slightly cooked (about 10 minutes)
8. Place in covered dish to allow the eggplant to steam and cool slightly while creating the sauce.
9. Lightly cook onion and garlic in heavy pan, such as a chef pan, until onion appears to turn translucent.
10. Add tomatoes (drained if using canned tomatoes) salt and pepper and cook on medium heat until tomatoes begin to break down (about 10 minutes) Add herbs, reserved liquid and continue cooking on medium heat, stirring frequently. Add about ¼ cup water if sauce becomes too thick and continue slowly simmering for about 30 more minutes.
11. Ladle some of the sauce to lightly cover the bottom of a 8X8 square oven pan
12. Take one eggplant slice and spread about 2 teaspoons or more of the ricotta mixture on each slice. Roll eggplant slice and place in pan. Repeat process until all of the slices are filled.
13. Add remaining sauce over the tops of the rolls and top with shredded cheese.
14. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes until the eggplant is cooked completely and sauce is bubbly.